Thursday, April 21, 2011

Tatsuro Yamashita - Melodies (1983)


Even if you don't speak Japanese, this here is quite the gem: Tatsuro Yamashita is a singer-songwriter-guitarist (one of the top selling in the country's history overall in fact) who specializes in an intriguing blend of traditional 80's J-Pop, funk, Beach Boys-esque power pop and mouthwatering jazzy westcoast. This particular release, 1983's Melodies, is basically the Land Of The Rising Sun's equivalent to Michael Jackson's Thriller in terms of the impact it had on popular music in Japan at the time and subsequent album sales. It's sunny, funky and wonderfully reminiscent of ages and suns gone by.

Feeling down? Need some rays? Turn this on and burn some rubber. Tatsuro-san's voice may take some getting used to, but like the best things in life, its an acquired taste.

Listen Here - "Merry-Go-Round"


Try It
Buy It

1 comment:

  1. I've been listening to Tatsu non-stop for about six months now, ever since I first heard his stuff earlier this year. I particularly like two other albums of his, 'Ride On Time', and 'For You'.

    I had no idea his work was that popular in Japan! I only knew of 'Christmas Eve' being a really popular Christmas song in the country. I hope to see him live before he retires from touring, but I don't know if I'll ever make it to Japan before then. Either way, thanks for helping to put Tatsu's work out there in the English-speaking world.

    ReplyDelete